Date of Birth 1935
1959 B.A. Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Magdalen College, Oxford.
1962 M.A. Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Magdalen College
1963 Ph.D. thesis: The economic and industrial policy of the British Conservative Party, 1945-1964, London School of Economics
Urban and Economic Development/Economics of Migration
Urban economic analysis; urban metropolitan economic planning; managing the city economy;urban labour markets employment and poverty reduction
July 2004-6 Chairman, Migration Commission, Royal Society of Arts
Oct. 2003-5 Senior Policy Consultant (international migration), European Policy Centre, Brussels.
Nov.1998 Emeritus Professor of the Economics of the City. Thereafter: consultant
Dec. 1987- Professor of Development Planning, University of London
Director : M.Phil/Ph.D. programme
Director : MSc. in the Economics of Urbanisation and Managing the City Economy.
Sept.1982-Oct. 1989 Director, Development Planning Unit, University College London responsible for the overall academic, financial and administrative work of the Unit in London and abroad, with special responsibility for:
(b) short courses on industrial policy and on economic planning for metropolitan areas in developing countries;
(c) economic inputs into all other courses.
1973-1982 Senior Lecturer, and subsequently, University of London Reader in Development Planning, at the Development Planning Unit.
1971-1973 Research Fellow (Ministry of Overseas Development), Queen Elizabeth House (University of Oxford); topic: Planning the economy of Bombay.
1967-1971 Deputy Director, Centre for Urban Studies, University College London, and Director of
Postgraduate Studies (including a course for aid-supported graduates from developing countries on urbanization in developing countries).
1965-1967 Lecturer, University of York.
1964-1965 Lecturer in South-East Asian Studies, IC University, Mitaka, Tokyo.
1963-1964 (i) Research Fellow, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta (topic : Problems in the formation of an industrial labour force).
(ii) International Editor, The Economic and Political Weekly, Bombay; and correspondent for The Economist, London, Far Eastern Economic Review, Hong Kong etc..
1954-1956 Second Lieutenant, Sherwood Foresters, and Queen’s Own Nigeria Regiment (Royal West African Frontier Force).
Contracts, Projects and Research (1991-2006)
- World Bank consultant – (i) three missions to Iran; (ii) `Measuring city competitiveness', Urban Dept.Oct-Dec.06
- ABCDE World Bank Conference on Development Economics – organise CEP/Bank workshop on Migration and Development.
- (with Frank Ellis), New thinking about urban and Rural Development, DFID workshop, Jul. 2004
- The impact of the Reform of International Trade(Doha Round) on Urban and Rural Change in developing countries – DFID project for internal instruction, DFID officials.
- Evaluation: Cities Programme, Economic and Social Research Council (UK).
- Economic Profile, Province of Jogyakarta (Indonesia), Provincial Government, Aug.
- invited attendance, World Bank Urban Research Symposium, Washington, Dec.
- Keynote address, USAID Retreat, Washington DC.
- (with Patrick Wakely) Evaluation of the World Bank/UN Habitat Cities Alliance, May-Aug. 2002.
- Lectures, World Bank Institute (i) Jaipur, India,Jan.2002; (ii)Brasilia, Nov.2002.
- World Bank mission to cities in eastern Europe – Prague, Budapest, Sofia, June 2000, and chair, World Bank-IMF, Cities Panel, Prague, Sept. 2000.
- World Bank - Bahia State (Brazil) mission to prepare economic development strategy, Jan.-Feb. 2000.
- World Bank - New Towns in the Arab region, presentation for the Bank, Agadir, Morocco, Jan.2000.
- two-year appointment, World Bank, part-time consultant, April 1999- missions to Washington DC, May-Aug.1999, March and April 2,000.
- World Bank - City Development Strategy Mission to Cali, Colombia, Sept. 1999 and Nov. 1999.
- World Bank - EDI Training Program for Mayors etc: lecture and teaching inputs, Toronto, May 1999.
- Consultant, World Bank Urban Division (TWURD), April-August.
- World Bank Urban Sector Mission, Vietnam, March, June 1998; Jan.1999; Ha Long Bay Workshop, March 1999.
- Consultant, World Bank Global Urban Unit (Urban Partnership), in the preparation of workshops and general advice, preparatory to the formulation of a new Bank urban strategy, Dec. 1997.
- Invited address, World Bank Urban Forum (Infrastructure Sector Board/Learning and Leadership Center, Economic Development Institute), Maryland, May 1997.
- Keelung Port, Taiwan : formulation of an economic concept plan for the city, April 1997 (RSP Singapore and Keeling City)
- NCHS-UNDP, mission to Myanmar to identify an economic perspective on the development of settlements, a preparatory document for the second United Nations conference on Human Settlements (Habitat II), Istanbul, June 1996; January 1996.
- Evaluation of the Structure Plan for Dhaka, Bangladesh, Urban Management Program, Dhaka, Dec. 1995
- Government of Egypt : design of the terms of reference and act as judge for an international competition for a regional development plan for the region of southern Sinai, Dec.-Jan. 1995-96.
- ODA (UK): Appraisal of the potential for development planning. KwaZulu Natal, Republic of South Africa, Nov. 1995
- OECD - commissioned to prepare two papers for Cities and the New Global Economy, OECD/Government of Australia conference,Melbourne,Nov. 1994.
- Araujo Ibarra Asociados, Bogotá : Export-oriented services for the Bogotá Free Trade Zone, Oct. 1994.
- The Urban Foundation, South Africa : preparation of Urbanisation in Developing Countries : A World Overview, 30 June 1994
- UNCHS-UNDP-World Bank, keynote address : Urban Management Programme, Workshop for the Arab Region, June 1993.
- USAID/Urban Land Institute (Washington) : paper on urban economic development in Europe : five case studies, for seminar for the Mayor and staff of the city of Warsaw, Dec. 1993.
- Ilan County, Taiwan : formulation of an economic concept plan for the county, April 1993, April 1994 (RSP Singapore and Ilan County authorities).
- Team leader, British Overseas Development Administration study of the Labour Market of Cuttack (Orissa, India), 1993.
- adviser on the development of urban economic research, Bombay, 1993; on the setting up of Bombay First, 1994-95.
- World Bank Urban Sector Policy Review for Egypt, Cairo, 1992.
- Research Workshop for officials of the State of Mexico on the urban and regional implications of the North American Free Trade Agreement, Toluca.
- World Bank-UNDP mission, Nepal : the Economic Contribution of the Nepalese urban sector, Kathmandu, 1990-91.
- Mission to the Mexico-US border - the economy of the Mexican border cities, Cd.Juarez/Washington 1991.
- UNDP, New York and Nairobi, 1991, consultant, to draft the UNDP position paper on the urban environment for the UN Conference on Environment and Development, Rio de Janeiro, 1992.
Earlier other missions for the Government of India, Government of Mexico, UNCHR, UNICEF, UN, to Indonesia, Brazil, South Africa, China, South Korea etc.
- University of California at Los Angeles, 1989.
- University of Hong Kong, 1990.
- El Colegio de México, January 1994
- American University in Cairo, academic year1998-99
- Keio University, Tokyo, June/July, 2000.
M.A. (Development Studies), University of East Anglia, 1985-1990.
M.Sc., University of Hong Kong, 1988-91.
Ph.D.(occasional) Universities of Birmingham, Stirling, Calcutta, East Anglia, Cambridge.